This is a recipe I found online and HAD to try it. While I love eating salads for dinner, it's fun mixing things up a bit. This recipe is now a staple in my diet and love eating it on cold nights!
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 1/2 cups finely diced sweet potato
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Thai or bird's-eye red chili
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 cup canned chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Pieces of coconut flesh from a fresh coconut (optional)
- salt (to taste)
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, heat oil, and sauté onion until softened.
- Add sweet potato, and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add minced ginger and garlic; stir, and reduce heat to low.
- Finely dice chili, keeping seeds if you wish to add more heat.
- Add chili, lentils, coriander, cumin, turmeric and ground ginger to pan.
- Stir until lentils are well coated with oil.
- Add tomatoes and 4 cups water.
- Raise heat to bring to a boil, then reduce heat until mixture is at a fast simmer.
- Cook uncovered until lentils and potatoes are soft, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt, and continue to simmer until mixture has thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk dal to amalgamate lentils and sweet potatoes. If dal is too soupy, increase heat and cook for a little longer.
- To serve, place dal in a serving bowl and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
- If desired, shave thin strips of fresh coconut on top. Serve hot.
I found the recipe here.