Peanut Butter Cups
I was originally going to make plain peanut butter cups but had the idea that they might not be as sweet as I'd like because I only had dark chocolate. Adding the coconut cream made these taste SO much better!
Peanut butter cup and chocolate base:
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (crunchy or creamy)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 10 oz dark chocolate (any non-dairy chocolate will do)
- 1 can high quality coconut cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (make sure it's vegan)
- It's best if the cream (in the can) has been cooling in the fridge for a few hours before use. Open the can and scoop out the hard/solid parts and forget the milky substance. Combine the hard coconut cream with 1/4 cup powdered sugar in a mixing bowl. Use beaters to blend until creamy and smooth.
- Combine the peanut butter, 1/4 cup powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt in a mixing bowl and mix well.
- In double boiler, add chocolate. Stir occasionally until chocolate is fully melted.
- Line cupcake tins with paper liners. Fill liners about 1/8 inch full with chocolate.
- Add small, flat, discs of peanut butter mixture to chocolate in liners.
- Put cup cake tray in fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Remove cup cake tray and top each cup with a dash of coconut cream. Put back into fridge for 20 min.
- Remove tray and top remaining liners with remaining chocolate.
- Tap tray on counter to smooth chocolate on top.
- Put back in fridge for another 30 minutes or until completely cooled.
Sweet twist on a classic recipe!